Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg



January's Book Choice
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Chosen by Stockton Book Club Members
Meeting will be held on January 22nd 2011 at 12pm @ Stockton Miner's Cafe.

Facebook Discussion:
Fried Green Tomatoes has been one of my favorite movies of all time. I remember when I was a teenager my Grandpa Fischer bought this Movie and I was lucky enough to be the first one that he watched it with. I remember I would watch this movie with my Grandpa all the time, it got so bad that would recite the dialog with my Grandpa. When I found out that it was in book form, I wanted to read it. Well, this was the time.

I loved the book. Wonderful stories about the Characters...Idgie and Ruth, Evelyn and Niney, Ol' Smokey and Whistle Stop Towns People. I loved how the stories about Idgie and Ruth that Niney told, gave Evelyn the strength and confidence to change her lifestyle by dieting, exercising and selling make-up. I got so emotionally involved in the characters, that I cried on several accounts....when the Cafe closed down, Ruth died, Niney died while Evelyn was on her Retreat for Mary Kay,when Ol' Smokey died and when Stump was telling stories to his family on Thanksgiving. There were a lot of the awesome one-liners from the movie like "The Secret's in the Sauce" and "Not only I'm older than you, but I have more insurance than you" once I read that I screamed out in laughter. I had so many emotions while reading this book, I laughed, I cried, I cheered and I awed. This was a wonderful book and I hope that those of you who read the book you say what you thought about the book or come to our book club meeting.









2 comments:

RonnaLee said...

I love the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" but the book is even better! I loved the depth of the characters created by the author. It is full of humor as well as drama and opens the reader's eyes to different types of lives in the deep south back when the civil rights movement hadn't changed the way black people were thought of by the majority of white people. I love the characters that love each other despite their different skin color and social status.

The idea a fried tomatoe that is not ripe is very strange to me, but I may just try that receipe one of these days.

Book Club of Monroe East and West said...

I too loved this too. It was very humorous and I found myself laughing and crying.