Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown





March's Book Choice
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Book Choosen by Don West Jr.
Meeting held on Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 2:00pm Don's House

Jamie Wilde West This book was very interesting. It kind of makes you look at the places around Washington DC a little differently. The Villian in the book is kinda of a dork, it's like he was bad out of boredom. He seemed like a tattooed version of Smidley Whiplash. The plot was interesting, but got a little too wikipediaey in some places. I read this book awhile back, but I plan on reading it again.


Oh, Yeah the part about the Giant Squid, Yuck!!! I still get grossed out by thinking about it.



Don West Jr I have to admit I am a fan of most of Dan Brown's books. This one was good, but not as good as the two that proceeded it in this series. I thought the plot was good but some of the story getting up to the climax was unnessecary. I thought the tie in with the villian and the other characters was too predictable. I really did enjoy The Lost Symbol.



RonnaLee Thompson Hesford Our discussion about The Lost Symbol today was very interesting. It was fun to share our views about the book. I wish we could go to DC to take a look at the things we read about. It seems like Dan Brown does a lot of research into what he writes about.

Being a relative of a 33rd Degree Mason, I wonder how much of what he wrote about their lodge ceremonies is just plain made up. It was written as if Mr. Brown respects the Freemasons and if he does, he would not disclose details about things they hold as sacred. If he were a Mason himself, he wouldn't write about it either.

In my opinion, there are so many similarities between the Masonic symbols and other symbols used in other religions, because they must all stem from the same truth way, way back when. I think these truths have been slightly changed by different groups as they separated from each other to form their own groups/religions. What do you all think?

I respect the Masons based on what I learned from my 33rd Degree relative and from what I read when researching about their basic beliefs. I also respect them based on how my relative lived his life with honor, morality and charity. It is true (as in the book) that many men who are Masons are prominent members of their communities, in business and politics. Would it upset "National Security" if someone were to reveal that many of our nation's leaders are Masons? Would people remember that George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and many other Founding Fathers were Masons? In my opinion, it wouldn't if their organization were looked at for what it really is. In the book's plot, the video of the Masonic rituals was edited in a way to make the ceremonies look evil and they were unexplained. In a case like that, I do believe that it would cause problems for America's leaders today. In general, people fear what they do not understand. This was a book to promote a lot of thought about the "what ifs".

I agree w/ Don that it was too predictable when it came to it's bad guy. I caught on right away to that twist. The squid, castration and tattoos was a bit much I thought - but that's just me.

All in all, I'd recommend this book to others, especially if they are someone who likes history.



2 comments:

Utah Masons said...

Great book on a fictitious story concerning freemasonry.

Book Club of Monroe East and West said...

Thank you for your comment. I agree with your comment.