Saturday, August 21, 2010

Peyton Place by Grace Metalious



October's Book Choice
Chosen by Jamie West
Meeting was held at Jamie West's House on October 3rd, 2009


***Facebook Discussion***

Jamie Wilde West
I really enjoyed this book, but the language was harsh. It also made me think of the terms that were used in the book and how we see and hear of those same terms everyday. I also thought of how gossip can be spread through the community and how people idolize their neighbor's lifestyle.



RonnaLee Thompson Hesford
Peyton Place was a book that brought a lot of good discussion at Book Club. This book leads to controversy and many different topics. Most felt the book would have been better if it had been less graphic, but that the author was trying to push social limits with her novel. Most agreed that the good thing this book did was bring some very real social ills to light in the 1950's (and still today) that people tried to ignore. Abuse is never acceptable and ignoring it will never help. The author, Grace M. had a sad life herself. Learning about her, helped explain a lot about the book.
THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS JOINED BOOK CLUB! I HOPE IT WILL CONTINUE TO GROW!


Suzanne Edmunds Thompson
I haven't read this book, but I remember the controversy it caused. My mother would have killed me at the time if I had read it. If a place is sleezie it is still referred to as "A Peyton Place."


No comments: